Thursday, June 7, 2012




Sorry it has been so long since I last posted. Many things have gone on and I have some time today to update everyone. I wish I had my journal in front of me because everyday seems like it was packed full of things and crazy experiences. Since I don't I will have to just go from memory. Last Monday was Buddah's Birthday so we didn't have to teach any English at the schools. I skyped mom and dad and it was really good to hear from them. I think I woke them up but I am glad I could remember mom's cell phone number off the top of my head. The weather is significantly nicer here and it is becoming more and more a tropical paradise. We have learned to just expect it to rain at least once a day and since a lot of our time is traveling from one project to the next, getting caught in the down pour is pretty expected. At least I think it is lol. It will be hot and humid when we get in the car and I may look a little funny bringing my rain jacket. But 20 minutes into the drive when it's dumping buckets I dont look so stupid. We may have about 6 or 9 of us in the back of the truck when we are traveling so we started carrying a large green tarp with us. We are really good at throwing it over ourselves in a flash.



OK so quick explainations


Our Truck needs to be push started every time we go. We are getting pretty good at getting it going in just a few feet. Nat our country director is on the far left, I am the one next to him. Next to me is A-maow, one of the NGO directors. He is the one that works with the hill tribes we are working with. And then Steven is on the far right.

 Here is one of our tarp adventures while it is pouring buckets as we drive. Yes I am the only one prepared witha rain Jacket. My North Face never stops amazing me.
 Here is a few older pictures. (older as in a few weeks ago. It feels like months already). This is us finished carrying Giant cement pillars up a hill to a house that we are building. We need about 275.00 to finish the roof so if you would like to donate, a little goes a long long way here. http://help-international.org/donate-now.
 Just riding an elephant...no biggie. I am about 4 shades darker now than in that first picture haha.


Ronald knows how to adapt to different cultures. Too bad his food is still junk.

So I cant remember if I sent pictures of us building the sink or not but we finished it. Thanks to you and all of your donations, these elementary school children (about 400) now have clean running water at their school. We wanted to take advantage of the new resource and although I wasnt involved with this specific project, some of the other members put together a teeth brushing, hand washing assembly at the school. It was a hit and the sink looks amazing. So thank you all again.  


Here is Nat translating for our other members at the assembly.

On sunday after church, we went for a nice hike near Chiang Rai. It lead us to a beautiful waterfall. More pictures coming soon.
Here are some more pictures of the house we demolished and of us bringing more supplies up to the site. Like I said, we are short 275.00 to finish the roof. Help international alots so much money to the house and the NGO that helped us find and price it can only donate so much. So if we are short we are asked to fund-raise however we can.  http://help-international.org/donate-now. we pushed the wall down with our bare hands....we hope to build stronger ones haha.

 My Keens (shoes/sandle guys) are amazing btw. Best investment yet.
 So on Buddah's birthday we went to the top of the temple and got to see the assembly of most all of our little town. Everyone was so humble and reverent that it was pretty breath taking. They even encouraged us to participate in the worship. So we held incense rubber-banded to a candle and some sage and walked around the temple 3 times (pondering our own "spiritual identity") and then stuck the still lit candle and insence in pot holders to continue to burn out. I felt it was very appropriate and I was glad I didn't miss the opportunity to experience how other people come closer to their sense of self worth.
This ugly as sin creature is Chico. He showed up the second day and is our land-lady's dog. Well one of them. He warmed up to me fast. He chews and bites on everything, barks at nothing. I trained him to sit, Laydown and not to bite. I used the hand signals I learned from jake teaching his pup sarah. It looks like a rat wet and smells just as bad sometimes. Barks at 6:00am everyday. Howls with the rest of the mutts out there. I took him into the shower with me and shampooed him with head and shoulders. Maybe thats why he runs at the first site of a tipping water bottle... anyway hes pretty much good for nothing but he is very entertaining and I have been greatful to have some sort of dog here. I have trained him to attach the giant bugs that gather at night around my room lol! That is one of the best things I have trained him to do by far. Oh Chico. I have also been dubbed "the dog whisperer" here because strays and domesticated dogs alike seem to gravitate toward a friendly hand. I have also named a few other dogs named Ozzy, Mac Gruff and Grandpa. Chico is by far the most pathetic but how could you say no to a pitiful face like that? lol as I was writting that, a dog came into the shop, I patted its head and it rested his head on my lap as I typed and semi-fell asleep haha. dont worry mom, I wash my hands frequently and stay away from the ones with protruding ribs and visible diseases.

This weekend we are going to go to a place called "the good news church". That is where we were going in the picture with us in the tarp. They are a church run orphanage of 100 kids. It is clean, beautiful and an all around happy place. All the kids go to school and 12 of them are attending college. They built 7 modest homes for 7 widows to live out their lives on and every kid is well taken care of. This weekend we are going to stay the night on Friday night, watch a movie with them, then on saturday we are going to help them with their many chores to keep their complex tidy and then put on an activity day. My station is going to be juggling soccer balls. I have about 11 balls that we will give to the kids. I am really stoked. Other stations include, yoga, zumba, guitar, 4 square, hair dressing and grooming, hand washing and hygene. Just to name a few.
I also plan on volunteering with a local soccer team after school to help with set up and take down and drills. I think the kids are ages 15-18 so I will have to bring my A-game.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you updated! Your photos are amazing it it sounds like your are always busy doing something! We love and miss you :) The girls tell everyone they have an uncle who rides elephants, they love your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see your new update. My kids are obsessed with your footwear (I'll email you later), and the fact that you have a mustache. You are looking so rugged and handsome over there. The weather sounds crazy - but not as crazy as the dogs. Hilarious! Enjoy every minute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the updated pic. Looking forward to some of the activities at the orphanage. You do look handsome and older then I want you to. So glad you can have this opportunity to help and serve others.

    ReplyDelete