So much to tell you all about what is going on here. First, after 39 hours of travel my brain and body were incredibly out of wack. I didn't know if I was tired or hungry. The flights all went smooth and I slept very little. maybe 9 of those 39. When I got to Thailand it wasn't what I expected at all. I guess I didn't really know what to expect but what ever it is about this place I love it more than what I expected. It's very humid but at the same time I like the humidity. Once you realize that you are just going to be sweating most the day, you start to focus on whats really important. The first thing I saw at the Chiang-Rai airport in the middle of nowhere, in a small airport straight out of MASH, was a diary queen...legit. We spent the whole day at the local YMCA that consisted of a few old buildings with beautiful landscape and the cutest little kids playing DDR. I tried to upload pictures from my camera but they are being difficult so I will just have this one this time. Taken via iphone. After we got to the YMCA the country directors took off to get more arriving people. We played soccer with the little kids and went swimming! It felt soooooooo good to get that 3 day sweat off. It was also really fun to pick the little Thai kids up and chuck'em across the pool hahaha. After swimming we went to the little restaurant next to it and had some red curry. Dear Dad, Thai food in Thailand is the best and only way to eat Thai food. I feel a little blessed and cursed because I know the food in Idaho wont be anything like what we have here. I wish you could have some. Oh yea and the same meal that we ate at the place next to our house cost about 3 dollars here...
Everything is cheaper here, i bought a watch for 60 cents and it has indiglo, stopwatch, digital, the works. Our house is amazing. clean, hot water. The girls sleep in the rooms with the AC but I dont mind because I feel like I am a missionary again, sleeping on the floor on a yo, with nothing but a fan on me. Today we did odds and ends stuff to get ready for the coming weeks. They are letting us settle in for a while before we are called upon to make more sacrifices. We jumped into the river next to our house and it was really warm. We floated on our backs through lush green jungle and watched the long fisherman boats pass by. We could see rain coming but didn't pay to much attention. Our country director, Nat, yelled out, " We are floating down a beautiful river in Thailand jungle! What are you doing?!" haha it was perfect and we all felt a little closer. Between riding in the back of pakced pickup trucks trucks, hiking to see gigantic Buddahs, eating amazing food that hurts so good and making deeper relationships with the members and people of Thaton, life is great.
On saturday we are going to start on some projects that Nat and Robert have layed out for us. We actually aren't in Chiang-rai. We are an hour outside of it, less than a mile from Myanmar. we are going to be working with schools in the country side teaching english on mondays. we are going to live in teh deep forest for a few days and help this professor build project pieces for the hill tribes deep within the jungle. Im really excited for that. I guess he is 4'11" and full of fire. and that is just a few of the things we are doing. It's so safe and pure that it makes you want to just stay here forever. With touches of Modern world everywhere, you never really feel in the past, but those are just things. the people are what makes this place so great. Again, sorry for no pictures but I will figure it out soon.
the first video is the drive to get where we are. I couldnt hear the guys talking so just mute it. this is where we are staying.

I'm so glad you're safe! Mom and I were just talking about you so I'm really glad you put this post up. It sounds amazing! I'm glad you're able to do this. I'm a little jealous too. :) Love you bud. Keep posting when you can.
ReplyDeleteMmmm, Thai food IN Thailand. You are right, you will be ruined for it anywhere else. Just wanted to mention if you have an iPhone that we use an app called WhatsApp, it's 99 cents but you can communicate via text, picture, video and voice clips with anyone else that has it. It works really well and that is how I stay in touch with Justin and the girls and other friends in different places. Good luck, I'm excited to read about your adventures.
ReplyDeleteWe can't wait to see more photos! I am so glad you got there safe....the girls want to hear all about your ride on an elephant :) We love you!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Jonathan! It's been awhile since I caught up with your blog. I can't wait to hear more about it and see more pictures!
ReplyDeleteTake the dive and get an Iphone/smart phone while you are over there so you can send us video and photos!
ReplyDelete-Justin